May 29, 2005

Gypsy Feet

The everyday celebrity never really served the purpose I created it for. I started off well, but then failed. The point being to share other peopleÂ’s stories and instead became just the ramblings of my mind. At some point in the last eight months, I realized that in truth the One and Only "“Everyday Celebrity" ” was Jesus Christ. Not that hasn'tasnÂ’t been my Savior all along, but that His celebrity is truly that which I must remember and recognize each and every day.

So why the new name?

For some time now, I have felt a huge burden for a subculture which I was born into - that of the Military "Brat."” I use the term hesitantly because while I am immensely proud of being a Brat - I often resent the use of the term by those who are not. I am still praying for God's direction in how I will be able to minister to other Brats, but lately God has at least offered me the opportunity to share my experiences and perspective with friends who are marrying into the military.

I have been accused of many things - having no roots, being part of the gypsy population, my cousin even calls me her "vagabond cousin"” which comes from a downward spiral of being transient- vagrant - homeless. All of these are true -– and in many ways, I'’m glad they are, but there are times when I'’m not. Still, being a brat has taught me so much about life and my walk with wouldn't that I wouldn'’t change a minute of it. One brat wrote:

“All in all, I wouldn't change my military brat life for anything in the world. Sure, I've got gypsy-feet, and I've had to work for my friends, but I've done so much more than many people have done their entire lives. I only hope that I can offer as much to my own children."” This resounds in my soul.

I started searching the internet for sites by other brats. Anyone remember seeing the movie B.R.A.T. Patrol? Anyway, I was again struck by the loneliness and sense of being an outsider that so often comes with being a brat. I was then reminded that as a Christian, I should feel this same sense of being an outsider in this world – Christ is with us and we don'’t need to be lonely, but we are called to be outsiders). In my understanding, this is what scripture refers to when it says we are to be in the world but not of the world and that we are aliens and strangers. It wasn'’t until a couple of years ago that I realized how very much being a brat influenced the way I think, the way I understand, the way I live and the way I interact with people. So in the next few posts, I will probably explore some of the things I've learned as a military brat.

No comments:

Post a Comment