September 16, 2004

Swannee and Nancy

Swannee and Nancy are first cousins (and happen to be my aunts). I can't tell you all the trouble these two have gotten into over the years (mostly because they'd kill me if I told all their stories and partly because you wouldn't believe me if I did - you sort of have to know them to believe two people could do the things they've done)…. They sure have done a lot. But I would like to share one of my favorite stories about the two of them.

They live in a small community outside of a small town in Alabama and when I was little the YMCA sponsored training for local medics. (The small town does have a hospital, but most people would rather risk the 45 minute drive to Montgomery in an ambulance than go there). So they signed up. The second day of training consisted of learning how to place someone on a stretcher and load him or her in the back of the ambulance. The pair easily mastered the stretcher part (that was the hard part). It all looked so easy. Unfortunately they failed to secure the stretcher in the back of the ambulance. And I guess latching the doors was a little trickier than they thought because as soon as they pulled forward the doors flew open and the stretcher came flying out the back end with a well secured fire-fighter strapped on. The fireman and stretcher then proceeded to fly down the hill towards Main Street with Swannee and Nancy running after it! Luckily no one was injured, and the cousins decided that perhaps they should look elsewhere for a hobby (like listening to the police scanner)… but that's another story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment